Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Holla!* (or, I swear I'm alive)

It's just that, you know, I'm a teacher. I have a job to do, and I occasionally like to sleep. Progress reports come out tomorrow, meaning the last few days have been chock full of actual teacher work. I got thought it all pretty quickly and efficiently, which is new for me.

In the last four days, I:

- Went to a movie with a friend from Dallas I met in New Orleans doing research with U of Delaware in January, whose brother lives in San Antonio. Seriously. I actually meet people this way.

- Went to lunch with the fantastic-in-every-aspect Debbie, or Auntie Dee-ber as I call her behind her back. A good part of the meal was spent convincing her that I am not presently romantically interested in anyone, nor is there anyone for me to be romantically interested in -- I live with nuns and work with 12 year-olds. You can sleep tonight, Daddy.

- Got my "Will teach for food" shirt in the mail! Thanks, Mama!

- Was told by my students I should be a sister for Halloween, "because you look like one". They failed to explain what that means. One of my 8th graders very seriously said I should do it because "That's what God most likely wants you to do with your life." Thank you for that insight into my vocation. My 5th grade girls, meanwhile, were all in favor of princess.

- Started my grad school application. (Gulp)

- Missed episode two of season four of House, the best show on TV, because I was being a responsible teacher. Cried a little about it. Sr. Roseann watched it and filled me in. We also talked about the reasons why House and Cuddy aren't together. I cited House's twisted and torn heart, to which she replied, "So sew it up and move on! Get over it! Get married!" This is one of the things I love about the sisters: their "Just suck it up, pansy" attitude (although they'd never put it that way... I do.)


That is, I think, about it. This coming week, I will:

- Write essays convincing the aforementioned grad program they want me. Really, you do. I can lift moderately heavy things!

- Meet with my students' parents about their grades. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, hold me up.

- Plan out our drama club stuff. No, I don't mean the stuff that goes down at the lunch table, I mean an actual, structured theater club. Maybe I can channel some of that crazy out of them.

- Miss everyone.

I'm wondering if there's anything you, my dear readers, want to see more of on this site. Nun stories? Kid stories? Reflections and insights on the nature of God? Comments on life, the universe, and everything? Kids in paper costumes? I'm here for you...

*My beloved NCSC folk: you're not imagining it. That title and the format of this post are totally for you. You're wonderful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahah.. oh the beloved "holla's".. got me all nostalgic. Even though they shouldn't since i'm technically still on team. but alas, EB '06 is fondly in my heart.

i miss you love of my life.

<3 er

Anonymous said...

I can't get over the fact that this stuff comes up in German and I can only function within it because I've done it before.