Thursday, November 8, 2007

His childhood nickname, ironically, was Quaismodo


When I was a college freshman (oh such long years ago), I had to drive from Dover to D.C. for something (what, I don't recall. Old age is gaining on me). This was before the Calvert County move, so the Eastern Shore and D.C. area were utterly foreign to me. As is my life-long habit, I ran to Daddy for aid and asked him to fix me up with some directions.

As is his habit, Daddy graciously granted my request, but with a twist -- as is also his habit. The directions were peppered with commentary about the scenery, placed I passed, and names of roads and towns. It's miraculous my hysterical laughter while driving didn't result in a wreck. Amidst the profusion of off-color and high-brow references, I recall, "SR X forks off to the left here. DO NOT TURN RIGHT, as this will have you crashing into Chesapeake Bob's Meats and Jerky." Sure enough, when I got to SR X, there was Chesapeake Bob's Meats and Jerky to the right.

Then there was the time I told Dad I was thinking of applying to Notre Dame, and he said replied with a crack about hunchbacks. If you wondered where I got it from, there it is.

Happy Birthday* to my Daddy, whose spawn I simply could not be happier or prouder to be.

*His birthday is the 9th, but it's been the 9th for a while where he is, so close enough!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Dad and I share our birthday date??? THAT is so much fun. Happy late bday, Dad C!

Anonymous said...

with all due respect, your father is possibly the cutest dad ever (next to you know, mine and all) And so obviously related to you. What a face!

Anonymous said...

For the record, only my mother called me Quasimodo, and then only on occasion.

Thanks for all the good wishes!