Sunday, January 20, 2008

Church-aversary

Five years ago tonight (January 19, 2003), I went to my first mass at the Church of the Holy Cross in Dover, which eventually lead to me really diving into this Church business, getting confirmed, trading all my free time for the joy of the Lord, learning more Latin than the average person needs, living in a convent, and all-in-all being a rabid Catholic.

I often talk as though God had been utterly absent from my life before that evening, but of course he was not. That night is a big deal to me now because it was one of a handful of moments in my short time on Earth that I can pin down as life-altering. I can point to it and say, "That's where it started." Spiritual growth and the deepening of faith are like a seed: it's difficult to name a moment when the seed becomes a sprout, or when the sprout becomes a sapling, or when the sapling becomes a tree. You just look one day and realize it's been that way for a while.

No comments: