Sunday, September 23, 2007

Your Cool Lesson for the Day

Dance crazes come along every now and again, dating all the way back to when David returned the Ark of the Covenant to its rightful spot and made a spectacle of himself in the process. I would guess most of you are familiar with the Macarena and the Cha Cha Slide. In the hip-hop world, mini-crazes come at a much quicker pace. These are usually more about a move associated with a popular song, but sometimes it's practically a full routine. The latest is the "soulja boy", done to the song "Crank Dat" by the (cough) artist Soulja Boy. It's a bloomin' mania right now, especially among the middle schoolers I work with.

Two of my girls on the dance team actually taught it to me last weekend at the football game, then spent this whole past week telling other students I'd learned how to soulja boy and trying to get me to do it in class. I did not, promising instead to do it at the Homecoming dance. When the moment came, I was attacked on all sides by middle schoolers who insisted I make good on my promise. Which I did.

Thank God, to my knowledge there exists no video evidence of that event, but I do have video of my kids doing it. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Oh, but I would so enjoy seeing you do the soulja boy dance... I mean, really. My kids in CCD taught me. Shh!!