Sunday, September 30, 2007

Homecoming

Alright, so homecoming was last Friday. I'm a little late posting about it -- sorry. I had papers to grade, plans to write, and gnomes to gname. I did tell you about how to be cool, so that's something, right? Here at last is a little more about our homecoming festivities.

Classes for the first part of the day were superseded by the crowning of the homecoming princes and princesses for pre-k through grade 5. The court is determined by who can bring in the most donations to the school and missions, which I think is a cute way to fund raise and a much better way to pick homecoming court than a popularity contest.

In the middle of the day we had three "classes". I say "classes" because the kids didn't want to learn a blessed thing, and even the teachers were more interested in spray painting the students and dressing them up as footballs.

A few of our players. Our team is fairly small, both in number and size. We always seem to have about 2/3 as many people as the other team. There there's the 6th graders, who I would guess constitute almost half the team. Ricardo, #8 in front there, is a 6th grader. He plays hard but is none the less smaller than 90% of the people he plays with and against. There are several 6th graders on the team of Ricardo's size.

Can't blame it all on the 6th graders, though. 6th grader Jacob, #7, has an 8th grade brother on the team who is smaller than him.

We played Holy Spirit, whose mascot was the Flames. This is logical and sounds like a good idea, but they don't seem to realize that it encourages all kinds of "put out the flames" jokes and visual puns like the one above (our blue Eagle is carrying a fire extinguisher). Their actual mascot, the one that runs around the games, wear more or less a giant red bag -- he looks like a big drop of blood. I personally found it very distracting and, moreover, faintly disturbing.

See? Even the sisters were more interested in painting the children than teaching them. As Sr. Roseann said, it's important to have crazy days and just let loose once in a while. I love the sisters.

Here's Crystal dressed as a football. This was my brilliant partner teacher's idea, and is probably a large part of the reason the 7th grade won the spirit award (that, and my cow bell).

The 5th graders, who gave us a run for our money in the spirit contest. They give me a run for my money when I teach them, too. Every. Day.

This is just a funny picture. What's funnier is that as I was standing there laughing and taking pictures, one of the other teachers came over and told them to cut it out. Oops...

No comments: