Thursday, July 12, 2007

Culture Day

Alex and I have made a habit of going to the movies while the kids are at VCJ (and by habit, I mean we've done it twice). Yesterday, we saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Needless to say, it wasn't as good as the book, but as a cinematic event it was very enjoyable. As the books have gotten longer and longer, the movies have necessarily covered a smaller percentage of their pulpy conterparts. Had I not read the book, I think I would have been a little lost at some points, and having read the book I felt the absence of some elements. Still, the creators deserve ample credit for effectively condensing that tome into two hours and eighteen minutes.

After VCJ, the kids and I (translation: I, under the pretense of doing it for the kids) badgered Camu into taking us the the library. The new Ontario library is an impressive structure, comeplete with uniformed security guardes who double as quiet police (with excellent results: it's like a tomb in there). An hour later, we scampered out with ten books between us and returened home, whereupon the kids (and I) dove right into said volumes.


Today, Charlie and Fabian continue the cultural awakening but adding their own dramtic voice-over to their game of Lego Star Wars. A sampling:
Charlie (as Anakin Skywalker): I'll never turn to the Dark Side!
Fabian (as General Greivous): Good!
C/AS: What do you mean? You're the terrible Gen. Greivous!
F/GG: I'm really Obi-Wan Kenobi dressed in a robot suit!
C/AS: Wow! That's awesome! Now we can rule the galaxy together!
F/GG: Only I'm really Gen. Greivous.
C/AS: Nooooooooooo! How could you DO this to me?!
F/GG: On, and by the way, Padme wants to marry me.
C/AS: Give me back my wife!
I truly miss the days when I was young and simple enough to come up with stuff that awesomely soap operatic.
Aw, heck... while we're at it...

No comments: