Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Flattery Will Get You Nowhere, Kids.

Not even this display of adulation can melt my icy teacher heart.
Me: ...Alright, you know what to do, so get to it.
(A few moments of actual, quiet, on task work)
Boy Student: Ma'am, did you go out a lot when you were young?
Me: (Ignoring the implication that I am no longer young) One, that's not exactly a polite question. Two, even if it was, not is not the time to be asking me personal questions. Get to work.
(Boy student and girl student exchange mischievous glances; I realize I'm in for it.)
Girl Student: Ma'am, I really like your hair today.
Me: Thanks. Oddly, my hair is not even close to your work, so I'm not sure why you were looking at it. Get to work.
Boy: Ma'am, I like your earrings.
Girl: Ooh, yeah, me too!
Me: Work.
Boy: Ma'am you're beautiful.
Me: W-o-r-k.
(Five minutes later, as I'm circulating checking on the kids. Boy student raises his hand and looks like he has a question.)
Me: Yes?
Boy: Ma'am, I love that shirt.

1 comment:

Lindsay @ Lindsay Loves said...

My kids quickly learned what "relevant" means, because when they asked me something personal, I would reply, "Not a relevant question," and move on. Now, I've switched to randomly answering questions. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and they never know which it's going to be. But even when I answer, my response always ends with, "Now do your work."