Thursday, April 26, 2007

My First Teacher Interview

Hello,

My name is TP and I am writing a story on Student Teacher's at AI for the AI High School Newspaper. It can be as little as ONE sentence. Whatever you want to say, I don't want to leave you out of the story. Please give me a quote or fill out the info below (Also can be as little as one sentence). THANKS!


Why did you choose secondary education (grades 7-12)?

For one, I like the stuff we get to teach. I'm a huge nerd, and I love literature, stories, words. More importantly, I love the way secondary age brains work -- students this age are learning so much and turning into the people they're going to be as grown folks. I'm honored to be part of that.


What is your favorite part about being at AI?
The students. I swear on my grade book, I mean that. All of them, even the ones I spend half the class yelling at for one reason or another, have helped convince me this really is what I want to do. Y'all are amazing.

What is your least favorite part about being at AI?
I'm sure this is an issue everywhere, not just at AI, but it's probably the most baffling thing about student teaching for me. I see a wide-spread belief that "quiet" means "talk more", and "no" means "ask me again". Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to clarify: that is woefully incorrect.

Do you have any advice for aspiring teachers at AI?
You want the neophyte to give advice? Well, I guess I'd say that (any profession, but especially) teachers really need to understand why they want to do this job. You can't do it just to do it, because it's convenient, or because it seems easy. There are a million great reasons to be a teacher; have one, know what it is, and remind yourself of it everyday.


As I was composing the above responses to a girl I've probably seen in the halls fifty times, it occurred to me again: I love these kids. Everyday, they blow me away. These quasi-children/pseudo-adults will talk in my class, watch me walk over to their desk and stand over them, and then tell everyone else to be quiet. This, somehow, charms me, even as I whap them with rolled-up papers. And I get so excited when they get where I wanted them to get or when they come up with their own spin on something; they don't even notice their little epiphanies, but I do, and I rejoice in them.

One of my students told me one day last week I reminded him of Dr. House because I was playing with an orange after lunch. Today, another student in that class brought me a ball just like House's. Some of the kids in that class are in the middle of cranking out some really brilliant projects on The Great Gatsby. And I think I'm in love.

1 comment:

Mr J Dubs said...

You are 100% correct: teachers need to understand why they want to be a teacher; once they figure this out, everything else just seems to fall in place. :)