Monday, April 16, 2007

Integrity. Really.

An exchange with a student, who I'll call by his initials:

JE: Miss C, Miss Doe took my DS [game boy] away last class.
Me: That's a shame, J. Why did you have it in school?
JE: We were watching an episode of The West Wing. It didn't even relate at all to what we're doing. And I've seen it before! I was playing wireless with the kid two seats behind me and she took it... Can you go get it for me?
Me: What??
JE: Just be like, "Hey, I'm going to take this to the office for you, I got it," and then give it to me instead.
Me: No, J.
JE: C'mon, Miss C. I'll pay you.
Me: Hmm... still no.
JE: I'll give you a crisp new twenty.
Me: Nope.
JE: How 'bout my good friend Mr Benjamin?
Me: Franklin? Nah.
JE: You don't take bribes?
Me: No, actually, I don't.
JE: Man, that's severe.

I don't know if this encourages or deters me from my chosen profession.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man...you should really consider the amount of student loans we have before turning down crisp new twenties. ;)

Mama